Pat paid us a visit today and gave us a thorough answer to our RelyID inquiry. Thanks! Pat’s answer clarified the RelyID verification procedure, the need to pay again to re-verify when one moves to another city, what it takes to impersonate someone, and about RelyID and one’s privacy.
RelyID and your privacy
Okay, so let’s see RelyID’s terms and conditions of sale. It says,
3. By providing us any information using the RelyID service, you agree that RelyID and its subcontractors and corporate affiliates may … (c) disclose the information to subcontractors and corporate affiliates ….
Aha, RelyID won’t keep any of our information sacred at all!
It isn’t that bad, though. Pat assures us that:
The questions are known/shown only to you and upon completion of the test, your answers are not stored nor are they shared with any 3rd parties either by eHarmony or RelyID.
Thanks, Pat. I’m sure many people feel better.
P.S. Below is the entire RelyID terms and conditions of sale. I reprint it here because it isn’t in a public URL:
The RelyID service is an identity authentication service operated by RelyID, Inc. and provided to you through eHarmony.com. eHarmony.com and RelyID (collectively “we” or “us”) require you to agree to the terms below before we will provide you with the RelyID service.
1. You agree that you will only enter information into the RelyID service that is truthful and is about yourself.
2. You agree to use the RelyID service only in accordance with applicable laws and only for lawful purposes. You agree not to access, use, or affect the RelyID service in any way that would interfere with its performance or its availability to or use by other users. You agree not to use the RelyID service in any way that would harass, embarrass, or interfere with the privacy of anyone.
3. By providing us any information using the RelyID service, you agree that RelyID and its subcontractors and corporate affiliates may (a) use the information to provide the RelyID service, (b) analyze the performance of the RelyID service and other services that support it, (c) disclose the information to subcontractors and corporate affiliates, (d) disclose the information as required by law, and (e) disclose the information to the person whose identity is being authenticated (which should be you).
4. We incur costs to provide you the RelyID service even if the RelyID service is unable to authenticate your identity. Therefore, you agree that we will not refund the fee for the RelyID service, regardless of the reason you ask for a refund, regardless of any error or interruption in the RelyID service, and regardless of what we may have done wrong.
5. You agree that we may suspend or terminate the RelyID service or your use of it at any time, for any or no reason, without warning or notice.
6. You agree that we make no warranties, representations, or guaranties about the RelyID service. For example, we make no warranties, representations, or guarantees that the RelyID service is accurate, complete, or current or that it will operate without interruption or error or that it is merchantable, fit for a particular purpose, or suitable for you.
7. You agree that we have no liability to you related to the RelyID service, even if we are negligent. In particular, we are not liable for any consequential damages (including lost opportunity, profits, use, or savings) or incidental damages, even if advised of their possibility, or punitive damages.
8. You agree not to assert any claims against us related to the RelyID service.
9. You agree to pay for our defense of any third party’s claim related to your breach of any of these terms or related to your negligence or wrongful act or omission related to the RelyID service. You agree to pay any settlement or judgment entered for any such claim.
10. If any of these terms are illegal or unenforceable, those terms will be removed and the remaining terms remain enforceable.
11. For your relationship with eHarmony.com, you agree that these terms supplement terms and conditions of service and that eHarmony may change these terms in the same way as it can change the terms and conditions of service.
12. For your relationship with RelyID, you agree that (a) these terms are the entire agreement between you and RelyID, (b) they replace all other communications between you and RelyID, and (c) RelyID may change these terms by posting the changes on the website http://www.relyid.com. You agree that you can file any legal claims against RelyID only in the courts for Dallas, Texas; you agree that RelyID can file any legal claims against you in the courts for Dallas, Texas.
13. You agree that you have read and understood all of these terms.
By clicking the “I Accept” button below, you accept terms above. If you do not want to accept these terms, you may reject them by clicking the “I Decline” button below and not using the RelyID service.
It’s hilarious that #8 says I cannot make any claims, yet #12 says I can file any claim only in Dallas, Texas. Hahaha.